Thursday, November 24, 2005

Judeo-Christian values...

I keep hearing things being blamed on Puritanical or Judeo-Christian values. I guess I understand the former; solid work ethic, stoicism, private and subdued sexuality, yada yada. The latter, however, always gives me pause. Damned Judeo-Christians... Last I checked the Jews and Christians had hardly reached any sort of accord regarding moral beliefs. Who are they anyway? Could these be they? Perhaps, but it seems doubtful that they are where the phrase came from.

Thoughts anyone?

Raul

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would think that Judeo-Christian is just another way of saying "not pagan." I suppose I see ideas in both of the religions that are similar. There is a central one -- monotheism. But from then on, it is pretty random. Not to mention all the sects in both Christianity and Judaism... In the end, I think the term is essentially meaningless.

2:10 PM, November 24, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Everyone talks about values a lot these days. People like Jimmy Carter writing a book about 'losing' 'our' values. Sounds ridiculous to me; Everyone has different values, and those values are constantly changing. Certainly lumping whole religions together doesn't make sense.

9:31 AM, November 26, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There actually used to be Jewish Christians. They were a sect of Christianity back somewhere within 50-200 AD. I think the term is mostly refering to the set of the 10 Commandments which is found in the Old Testiment. This really is the "core values" of both religion and is part of the holy books recognized by both relgions. Fundimentally there is not such a big difference between Jews, Christians, and Muslims. It is just the people with the most similarities are the people with the biggest rivalries.

Judism >>> Christianity >>> Muslim
No J.C. >> No Muhammad

9:45 AM, November 28, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home